A few weeks ago some of our friends here in Cincy were celebrating birthdays. We were planning a night of fun - pizza and putt putt. At the last minute I decided to make a cake (how can you celebrate birthdays without a cake? - you just can't). We only had white cake mix and white frosting which is too boring for a birthday (and we all know I don't make cakes from scratch). Anyway, on the back of the Betty Crocker box there was this adorable picture- and I decided to go for it.

Well, I didn't have much time. I also didn't have a cupcake tin (or liners), enough frosting, or the candy dots that make it cute. So I sent Duffy to the store while I mixed up the batter and a few of the colors for frosting (yes, he could have just gotten a different cake mix or some chocolate frosting). An hour later I was frosting my work of art at my friends' apartment. It looked almost as good as Betty Crocker's...

(That's Duffy and Dustin giving it the thumbs up.) There is no way you can make real cupcakes and real frosting stand as straight as Betty's. Oh well, the good news is it tasted great (hard to mess up a boxed cake mix), even if it was a bit tipsy.

Later we played putt-putt, go carts, and arcade games at a nearby fun center. Happy Birthday Tiona and Brock!
6 comments:
that cake was EXTREMELY good and cute!
you little Betty Crocker you - well done! Love you posts, keep them coming!
That cake was amazing, and when I saw the box picture I though, "Hmmm, is that the cake she made or not? I don't remember a twisty candle..." Well, to my untrained eye I thought your cake looked just like the box picture!
Beautiful cakes...you're so ambitious with the cute cakes (and cupcakes). It's inspiring. :)
mmmmmmmm. me likey. looks yummy. you are just like mom, you little cake baker.
So, so, so very happy to have raised a whole generation of cake bakers, like their momma! Great work, Tess!
Post a Comment