Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Basement or Yoga Studio?

While it's a huge commitment, there are some definite perks to owning a home. Today's Perk-of-the-Day is having a basement. Even though it is unfinished, it is good for much more than just storage. I present exhibit A:
Yes, it does look like a simple concrete room with some funky space-suit-like insulation on the walls, but with a little creativity (and a thrifty attitude), we have created a yoga studio in our own home!

We initiated this project last month, but were having trouble getting the VCR/TV to work.  Well, Duffy figured it out last night and got everything working. So we did some yoga. It was hilarious! Let's just say we have a long way to go in the flexibility arena, especially compared to Miss Gumby who teaching us in the video. Overall, a great time!

2 Yoga Mats from TJMaxx - $15 each
2 Instructional Yoga Workout DVDs also from TJMaxx- $12 each
Cooler/TV Stand - wedding gift
Hand-me-down TV - free
Leftover DVD player from college- $10 (I factored in depreciation over 3 years)

You too, can have your own in-home yoga studio for about 30 bucks!


9 comments:

M D T and G said...

Where can I sign up for the next class!?!

Britney said...

Nice! I also love the look Harper is giving you. He's so cute.

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

Awesome start to your in-home gym! And Harps is at the ready for some running, looks like to me.

Lauren said...

you ROCK! what a do-it-yourself couple you are! love it!

Courtney Shelby said...

Also looks like a great keep off the ground room! :)
Where are you going for Thanksgiving this year?

Tessa said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! To respond:
-sign up sheet is on the fridge in our house :)

-Harper is posing for the picture and he also loves to participate in yoga. Mostly he will get on my mat when I'm doing a pose like warrior and the middle of the mat is free.

-We are going to my parents house in Montana for Thanksgiving. The cruise (2 weeks ago) was Duffy's family "Christmas". For the actual Christmas on December 25, we will be here in KY. Invitations are open for anyone in the mood for a trip out west. We offer hot apple cider to anyone who visits!

Tessa said...

replace "out west" with "to the midwest" (forgot my geography for a moment).

Erika said...

Someday I might just be walking behind your house (not sure why I would do that unless I was intentionally trying to spy & that sounds creepy) and I'll just see you and Duffy doing yoga. Haha...is it warm enough down there? Our basement is freezing!

Kelly Dowling Stimpson said...

Hi Tessa! Granny and I just checked your blog again. Why not post the redmoor link? "You're famous at our country club!"