
#1 - At my job (an advertising/marketing/design firm), I work on email marketing trends and best practices (among other things). I received an email from Crate & Barrel (I now actually read many of the emails I get from large retailers to see what their strategies are). I was so impressed with the opt-in copy that I wanted to click through and opt-in again. I even posted it at work so everyone else could see how clever it was. You couldn't read the fine print if I put a screen shot of the email, but the opt-in message says,
"Did someone forward you this message? Skip the grapevine. Opt in
to receive Crate and Barrel email. Click here to hear it first."
This may not sound all that amazing to you, but, believe me -- this is the most creative opt-in message I have ever seen, and I've been paying attention.

#2 - Last week for work I had to go to a client's office to sit in on some interviews. Everyone that came in had these neat-o notebooks (I take a lot of notes, and I'm really into cool paper, stationery, and notebooks/journals). So today I did some digging and found the maker of these "Black n' Reds." After exploring the website, I was utterly impressed. Not only are the notebooks they make really cool, but they actually only make and only sell notebooks. It was refreshing to see a company that is so focused. These days it's practically impossible to find a company that isn't trying to be everything to everyone. This brand knows its niche!

#3 - Tonight I had the TV on (Duffy is traveling for work and it's just too quiet without him - plus, game 6 is on!) while I was taking care of some stuff on the internet (talk about textbook media consumption). I saw a commercial for Jenny Craig on tv (the one with Queen Latifa in a boxing gym). Right when the commercial ended, I clicked thru my email and the new page had a Jenny Craig banner ad featuring Queen Latifa. I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone before in the history of the world, but to me, it was amazing! A media planner's dream come true. When planning advertising campaigns the ideal is to reach the same audience in many different media to create a memorable message. Call me a skeptic, but I never thought it could ever work as well as it did tonight. (I'm still a skeptic - I don't think it will ever happen again)
After #3 and the ensuing thoughts, I had to pause and ask myself, "Am I really an advertising nerd?"
Yes, yes you are.
6 comments:
that must mean you are in the right field! I remember some similar experiences in college when I studied advertising--it's funny how it really is EVERYWHERE...and you really only notice it when you learn what to look for.
I just saw a piece on GMA talking about how to portray the political image a candidate is seeking. For example, recent ads with Obama show mostly older women in the audience (trying to attract the Hilary supporters).
Yes it is everywhere.
ten days til we get to see you!!!
Loves
Kelly and Dean
I love all the techy lingo. You are so smart - and good at what you do!
love the blog, keep 'em comin
ps - here are some blog title suggestions...
"two cool people and their dog"
"tales of awesomeness"
"Tuffy, Dessa, and a pup named Harper"
more to come
i'm excited about your blog tessa! ps. will you send me the group picture last night (and any other good ones)? just when you get a chance. britneyroark@gmail.com. thanks! have a good week, and keep the blog posts coming!
So, yesterday I received in the maile my new issue of Skiing magazine. It is the gear guide issue and statrted looking through it as I was watching the Olympics. During a commercial break, a new Crocs commercial came on for their new shoes that they just came out with. When it was done, I turned the page in my magazine and guess what it was for...the new Crocs shoes. It was as if they knew.
Post a Comment